Tuesday 17 June 2014

An interview with Barry Chuckle: TALK, DISCUSS and ask WHY?


On the 2nd of February, the car of Barry Chuckle (the name Sheffield university Hockey Club affectionately call me,) was travelling down to London in the vehicle were some bleary eyed hockey players; Scissor, The Viking, Hawkeye and Lurge. All very tired from their early awakening, particularly Viking who was dragged out of bed. Too tired to really TALK, to tired to DISCUSS, too tired to question WHY we were up at that time in the morning. They were however not too tired to be looking forward to the days activities; these involved a pub lunch and watching the Maxifuel Super Sixes Hockey Finals at Wembley Arena in London.


The maxinutrition Fives Hockey Finals are the indoor hockey finals for the United Kingdom. We had 4 great games of hockey to watch.


But first we had the pub lunch, apart from arriving excessively early to a random pub in London; there was something else that was not only unique but significant about this first event in our day. This was the talk that was given at the pub lunch. 

Unique? Well because I think we were the only group of people to start our trip with a talk in a pub by a Christian.

Significant? Well not because the food tied us over so we didn't have to spend extortionate money in wembley arena for food. But significant because of what was said, I cannot rightly remember the details of the talk or even the thrust of the point made. (And neither can the hockey boys after I asked them to recall it) So why is it still significant? Well because of the challenge that was proposed. The challenge not really a difficult one for the hockey boys in my car. What did the speaker ask them to do? Well she asked them to question me, challenge me, I'd brought them to the pub so they could hear about Christianity, I didn't realise that in the end the expectation was for them to hear about it from me.

After the talk not much happened.
We went to wembley arena and watched the hockey. (The 'Ding Women won, The 'Ding Men lost)
In the car journey back however, the boys remembered that they needed to ask me a question, they were told to by the lady at the pub to ask me a question so why not.
I was slightly nervous about answering the questions, but it was a great discussion for the first hour of our journey and a slightly more obscure one for the second hour. (Lurge who has no stamina, slept throughout, sleepy fresher)
But I enjoyed the opportunity to TALK about my faith, to DISCUSS my faith, to question WHY I trust in Jesus each day.

I may have been nervous prior to TALKING, DISCUSSING and asking WHY. But it was a good thing to do, it helped me understand my faith(trust) in Jesus more and I think it helped my mates understand my faith(trust) in Jesus as well.

Ask me a question it'll be good to TALK, DISCUSS and ask WHY.
Here are a few of potential questions to get our discussion started:
Why are you a Christian?
Why do you go to Church?
Why do you not like to get drunk?
Why don't you have sex?

Ask Why.


No comments:

Post a Comment